Friday, March 1, 2013

Featured Artist Kharisma Sommers

by ©Peggy Gabrielson

 “A picture is worth a thousand words”.  


She is a self-taught jewelry designer with a degree in Visual Communication. Her passion and her education produce well thought out and well composed jewelry that can be found in many wardrobes worldwide.  

Artist Kharisma, the inspiration behind Popnicute an independent brand that specializes in handcrafted artisan jewelry, presently resides in Quincy, IL. Kharisma was born and raised in Indonesia where the culture helped develop her artistic taste, creating unique ethnic jewelry with modern sensibility.  

As a child her family was always supportive purchasing her supplies and kits allowing her to explore her creative connections. “The creative bug bit me early in life. I've been drawing and painting as long as I can remember.”

In 2008 Kharisma was introduced by her boyfriend, now her husband, to wire jewelry on DevianArt an online community that showcases artists and their work. “That was my first encounter with wire jewelry and I was eager to learn.”

“Inspiration came from unsuspected places. From looking at other artist works to random shapes and colors I've seen around the house or on the streets and places that had nothing to do with jewelry. If a random shape triggered my creative bug, my brain would start rolling and visualize what kind of jewelry I'd make with that shape. The end result doesn't necessarily resemble the shape that triggered my creative process either.”




In 2011 Popnicute was named Favorite Handmade Jewelry Artisan in About.com's Reader's Choice Awards. Kharisma’s artwork was also featured in Wire Art Magazine and will be featured in an upcoming edition of ArtJewelry magazine.







A television broadcast by KHQA TV on YouTube introducing her work and nation wide discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Inspiring Creative Minds!