Monday, April 18, 2011

So why do we do it?

by ©Peggy Gabrielson


"So few people are able to make a living creating art. Many of us wear ourselves out creating, working tirelessly through the late-night hours... long after we've finished our "day jobs."


I read an article by Tammy Jones editor of Jewelry Making Daily, her article Making Art Jewelry: Why do we do it?, posed the question I had myself for quite awhile now. Why do we do it?
Raffia Hat Workshop 

"Have you ever thought about why you do it?"  

I thought of this just last night... again... as I lay in bed trying to get rest before my 'new' day started. 

The new day did start, but thought if I lay there with my eyes closed sleep would fall upon me. Instead I thought about my deadlines what I needed to do. 

Why do I spend my time and money on supplies, workshops and of late traveling to trade shows? What is the  reason for my drive? Is it the idea of being known in the artist community, money... none of these. 

I love sharing my knowledge with others! For me it is the satisfaction of creating and designing something so unique and wonderful that no one has been able to do as of yet. 'Pushing' myself or the media to the extent that it can not further is the satisfaction of completing a job well done! 

Don't ask me to hold a conversation with you when my mind is in this direction... I would not make sense... just ask my husband. I would be interested of some of your answers, so why do you do it?


©Inspiring Creative Minds!

Materials used for Raffia Hat



2 comments:

  1. Why do I do it? Well, I'm not sure I'll ever be successful at the business end but I sure do love to create. Right now its all about seed beads and bead weaving, but my love of creating covers a whole wide range of topics and elements - there are the things I've worked with like polymer clay, mosaics and the things I hope to learn to do and thus have started collecting supplies for it - crocheting, metal stamping, etc. I do it because I need to do it. It makes me happy and keeps me balanced more than anything else. I am often kept up into the wee hours of the night because of ideas swirling around in my mind. And if I didn't at least attempt some of those ideas, I would probably go crazy. So, in a nutshell, I love art, crafts, and DIY and would probably go a bit crazy if I didn't take the time to produce the things in my head. :-)

    Mona
    P.S. I mentioned you in my blog!
    http://3peeps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for mentioning me in your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Inspiring Creative Minds!